Clearly Roy’s Jeans are quite awesome, but more than anything, I have major sewing machine envy. I love the way these vintage machines keep running after years and years of use, and in some cases, they are actually preferred to new machines that perform the same tasks.
Roy’s Jeans – Video by Self Edge from Self Edge on Vimeo.
A few weeks ago I finally finished the three shirts I started at the beginning of September. Considering that I bought some of this fabric back in June, these shirts took much longer to make than I anticipated. But having never made a shirt from scratch before, I didn’t really know what to expect. I basically followed the same procedure I used to make my jeans earlier this year. First, I drafted a basic upper body pattern to establish the general fit. Once I had an upper body sloper that fit really well, I modified it to create my shirt pattern, adding the yoke, sleeves, plackets, cuffs, collar stand, collar, and pockets.
Here is my favorite of the three. I used a light gray chambray and included pockets on this one. (clearly they all need to be ironed)
The stripes in this shirt are various shades of blue. I decided to leave the pockets off of this one for a little variety.
This is a dark charcoal (almost black) chambray with pockets. I love the way this fabric feels, but I’m not completely sold on the color. I don’t usually wear shirts quite this dark.
I am thrilled with the way these turned out. The fit is nearly perfect, which is somewhat slim but not “fashiony” tight. I designed the shirt tails to be a little shallower and a bit shorter than usual to give me the option of wearing them untucked. There are no pleats or gathers on the yoke or at the cuffs, which I think gives the shirts a cleaner look.
While the process was long and tedious at times, it was also very satisfying to start with a blank sheet of paper, (okay maybe more than one sheet) and turn it into the perfect handcrafted shirt.