Industrial Buttonhole Attachment

Industrial Buttonhole Attachment

There is lots of information about buttonhole attachments for old household Singers, but after a little research, I didn’t find many people talking about buttonhole options for industrial machines. Sure, there are industrial machines you can buy that do nothing but sew buttonholes, and while I would love to own one of those machines, they are expensive and take up a lot of space.

These attachments have been around for a while and seem to fit just about any single needle, straight stitch, industrial sewing machine.

Industrial Buttonhole Attachment

You can adjust the number of stitches (space between stitches) that make up the buttonhole, as well as the length of the buttonhole. The stitching generally turns out more consistent than what is shown below. I may need to adjust the tension on my machine.

Industrial Buttonhole Attachment stitch spacing

The width of the actual stitches can also be adjusted, as well as the cutting space down the center of the buttonhole.

Industrial Buttonhole Attachment stitch spacing

I’ve been using this in any place I need a buttonhole as I don’t like the buttonholes that my household PFAFF makes, but it isn’t perfect. The main issue is that the attachment doesn’t really do a proper “tack” at the top and bottom of the buttonhole. It does a little “side stitch thingy” before stitching each long side of the hole, and I’m not quite sure how this will hold up overtime.

I also wish that the attachment could create a keyhole style buttonhole, but it can only do the standard style hole. My last criticism is that while the attachment can be adjusted to create short and long buttonholes, the longest it can go is around 1″ or 7/8″. For large waistband buttons, I wish it could go just a little bit longer.

Overall though, it gets the job done, and is fairly reliable. I’ve used it on a couple of shirts, and the last two or three pairs of pants I’ve made and all of the buttonholes are still in good condition. For anyone with a basic straight stitch industrial sewing machine, this might be an attachment you want to look into, just to have another option for those pesky buttonholes.

10 Responses to “Industrial Buttonhole Attachment”

1. Kimbersew — December 3, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

I’ve been looking for something like this (not very astutely I guess). Do you need to have a way to drop your feed-dogs or to cover them? It seems to me that a combination of the little side-step stitch AND a bar-tack would give a perfect button-hole strength right where you need it most. I should look into whether my old Rex straight stitch could fit one of these. Thanks!

• Taylor replied: — December 3rd, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

The attachment comes with a cover for your feed dogs (shown in the upper right corner of the first image above). This cover screws into your machine bed. Unfortunately the set screw for the feed dog cover, which is very specialized and not easy to replace, broke. I am able to lower the feed dogs on my machine though so I can still use the attachment.

I have been going back and placing small bar-tacks on the top and bottom of the button holes, but this is somewhat time consuming.

2. Drew — December 7, 2013 @ 10:44 pm

Wonderful review. Shame about the non back tacking. Probably not ever going to be a problem, just an annoyance. Shame you’re not in California, we could go 50/50 on a Reece 101.

• Taylor replied: — December 11th, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

Man, I would love to share a Reece! That would be the way to do it though, split the cost and share the machine.

3. giedra Bowser — December 30, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Wondering if you have any idea if this would work on a Juki 2010q?

• Taylor replied: — January 2nd, 2014 @ 12:07 pm

Hi Giedra,

I’m not sure if this attachment will work on your particular machine. You might want to find a retailer with a good return policy to try it out, in case it doesn’t work. Can you lower the feed dogs on your machine?

Taylor

4. johnny — January 1, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

Facing similar challenge myself, it seems that the most cost effective way (I too would love to be able to afford a Reece!) would be to use a 1950′s “Greist” type buttonhole attachment with Cams. These can do a keyhole buttonhole…the challenge comes finding the correct size keyhole cam.

• Taylor replied: — January 2nd, 2014 @ 12:14 pm

Johnny,

I’ve thought about trying one of those cam attachments. Do you know if those “Greist”type attachments will fit on a modern industrial machine? I’m not sure if my presser foot bar is the same size as the the presser foot bar on the older machines those were designed for.

5. johnny — January 2, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Taylor,
    As far as I know they were designed for domestic machines, if you get an old singer or domestic “low shank” machine it should fit. I’m hoping to use one on an old Bernina (with an adaptor).
    I agree it’d be better to get one for industrials but i know of no such thing :(

6. John Yingling — March 17, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

My buttonhole procedure is to keep a Singer buttonholer set up on one of my Pfaff 130′s. The Singer can do a buttonhole as long as 1 1/16″. I also have another buttonholer by Singer for their slant needle models that can do up to 1 1/2″ buttonholes. My sewing contractor friends tell me that these buttonholes are better than the ones they make on their industrial buttonholers. For those who don’t know, an industrial buttonholer will position, sew, and slash the buttonhole in seconds, but take a look at a RTW shirt and notice just how poorly they look. You get speed at the cost of quality.