Learning to Sew Shirt Collars
I wasn’t thrilled with the way the collar turned out on my muslin test shirt so I went back to the drawing board before beginning to work with nicer fabric. The collar pattern I used on the test shirt had what I thought were really steep points that were too close together. I redesigned the collar to have a more “square” shape, which also resulted in the points being spread further apart. Below is the new collar shape and collar stand cut out and prepped in the charcoal chambray shown in my last post. The white pieces you see are bleached cotton interfacing that has been glue basted to the top collar and top collar stand.
Constructing the collar is definitely one of the harder tasks when making shirts. Each step requires precision, careful measurement, and attention to detail. I sewed three or four practice collars before I actually cut into the chambray shown above. Alright…back to the sewing machine!