Men’s Khaki Chinos

Are they chinos, or khakis, or in this case both? I see the names used interchangeably, but I wonder if anybody really  knows. The purists say that “chino” is a type of pant and “khaki” is a color. I say when you know how to make ’em yourself, you can call them whatever you want to.

Self-drafted pattern
Flat front, button fly, slim fit
100% cotton twill

Folded mens chinos

Hanging chinos

First attempt at making welt pockets.

Welt pocket close up

Lined waistband.

Chino button fly

Chino pants back

Chino pants front

21 Responses to “Men’s Khaki Chinos”

1. Tyrone — May 5, 2011 @ 2:04 am

Very cool stuff. I hope to start sewing a lot more as soon as I finish my master’s thesis, so it’s inspiring too.
    Post more!

2. Allison — May 5, 2011 @ 3:05 am

wow these are really awesome. The lining fabrc suits perfectly and the welt pockets look very polished, It’s hard to believe they were your first ?

3. Sølvi — May 5, 2011 @ 5:22 am

Wow! You pay such attention to details, and these look fantastic! You can call them whatever you want when you have those kinds of sewing skills! 🙂

4. Cathy — May 5, 2011 @ 6:56 am

Your Khaki Chinos are awesome!!! Wow! Great job! In my experience (Menswear retail, Bedding, Fashion School etc..) we did interchange those two names. In the 80’s we called them Chino’s. In the later 90’s and 00’s we called them Khakis. Sometimes it’s not enough to think of Khakis as 100% cotton either as in military uniforms. ‘Dress Khakis’ for the Navy is a terrible poly blend! Ick! ~Cathy

5. BJ — May 5, 2011 @ 7:06 am

Amazing….that’s all I can say. I have welt pocket envy now.

6. Johann — May 5, 2011 @ 8:41 am

They look awesome. I was wondering if you would post a tutorial, or link to a handy tutorial on doing a button fly instead of zipper like a lot of patterns have? I’m sure it will make sense once I just go and try it, but I always feel more comfortable if I can read about it first.

Your welt pockets look great! I remember doing my first welt pockets and there’s no way I would have taken such a close-up shot of them! 😉

7. Taylor — May 5, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Thanks! Okay, so I did a couple of practice welt pockets on the muslin before making the final pair. But as long as you take your time and press everything carefully, they aren’t too difficult. All straight lines, no curves, just time consuming.

8. Taylor — May 5, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Off the top of my head I don’t know of any button fly tutorials online. I know that Peter at will be doing a button fly for his Jeans-Sew-Along. I’m sure he will have some great directions in the coming days.

I’d love to do a detailed tutorial, but need to find the time! On the next pair of pants I make for myself, I will take pictures and write down the instructions as I go. This might be a while though. I am working on a pair of women’s jeans for my wife right now, but they have zipper fly.

There are three basic pieces:
    Underlap (where the buttons are attached)
    Overlap piece (where the button holes are sewn)
    Facing on the overlap side

Feel free to let me know if you have questions about the construction.

9. Peter — May 5, 2011 @ 10:20 am

I am in awe. WHERE did you buy our chino fabric?

10. Peter — May 5, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I am in awe. WHERE did you buy your chino fabric?

11. Peter — May 5, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I’m messing up your comments, sorry!

12. Taylor — May 5, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I bought the fabric here: They have lots of colors and options.

13. Melody — May 5, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Hi. Found your site over at Peter’s. HOLY CRAP! Those chinos are incredible!! I periodically make clothing for my husband, so I am glad to have found your website. You’re really good at this!

14. Sara — May 5, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

Are you serious?!?! Those are amazing. I need to make some for my husband now!!

15. Elle C — May 5, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

I found your blog via Peter. Fantastic job on the chinos/khakis/chikis? You may have given me the courage to sew pants for my husband. Thanks.

16. Drew — May 6, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I’ve been wanting to get around to my sewing machine for a long time now. Been at it in earnest for a few months after being inspired by your blog. Take a loot at the apron I made!
    Thanks for the inspiration,

17. Taylor — May 6, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

Awesome job with the apron! I love the swing pocket, great idea. I’ve thought about making an apron for myself. My very first project ever was a practice apron I made out of thin muslin. I look forward to seeing more.

18. urbandon — May 9, 2011 @ 6:48 am

Beautiful. You nailed those welt pockets- perfect!

19. lorrwill — May 16, 2011 @ 3:29 am

Wow. You ordered from them with no problems? I am jealous.

They took my money but I have yet to get my fabric and they are not responding to emails.

I was hoping you had found someone else who sells chino weight twill!

20. Taylor — May 16, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Their communication could definitely be better. They never responded to my e-mails about ship times. I will definitely hesitate to order again now that I know you have had trouble. I also wish I knew of another place with decent prices and options.

21. Francesco — May 16, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Beautiful. I love the classic cut and palette you used on these.