Canvas Roll Top Backpack, Version 2.0

Roll Top Canvas Backpack, front

This backpack is roughly the same dimensions as the first pack I posted earlier this summer, but I changed the pattern and construction to allow for some different options for pockets and shape.

• Simple roll top design
  • Made from heavy cotton duck canvas
  • Bottom portion brushed with latex for durability
  • Cotton webbing, with snap hook closures
  • Billow style front pockets are slightly expandable
  • Added side pockets
  • Fully lined, with removable back foam insert (for more or less padding/structure)
  • Carry-on size, fits in overhead bin storage, and under the seat on airplanes.

Roll Top Canvas Backpack, back

I am really happy with the way this turned out. Before sewing a single stitch, I tried to think through the entire construction process. My goal was to keep the construction as simple as possible: no button holes, no basting, no pinning, no changing sewing machine feet, and no pressing. I wanted simple, efficient, no nonsense sewing, and I was able to do just that.

Obviously that approach won’t work for every project, and I’m certainly not knocking basting or pressing when they are necessary, but I tried to factor the need for those practices into the design to eliminate their necessity from the beginning.

I want to get back to making clothing soon, but right now I’m having too much fun with backpacks!

Roll Top Canvas Backpack, side

21 Responses to “Canvas Roll Top Backpack, Version 2.0”

1. designcloseup — September 10, 2013 @ 11:57 am

I really like the look of your backpack, it looks like it should belong to a Chanel store :)

2. Jo — September 10, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

This bag looks brilliant!

I just came across your blog and am desperate to find a similar blog which doesn’t concentrate solely on clothing for the fellas… There are hundreds of twee vintage/ floral/ Cath Kidson blogs for ‘ladies’ out there but I want to make the cool stuff I can’t afford… Woe is me…

(I’ll keep an eye on you though)

Love love

3. Kelly — September 11, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Oh, this is very cool, I love it! I like to think through the details of my projects before I start too. If you were to make this available as a pattern I would totally buy it!

4. Alice — September 11, 2013 @ 11:39 am

Just great! I spent all day yesterday struggling with my backpack and now I’m inspired.
    How does the latex hold up? I suppose you can’t really answer that yet if you’ve just completed this but I’d love to hear more about it some time :)

5. Eva — September 11, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

I would definitely buy this as a pattern, too!

6. Kemish — September 11, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

Great backpack. I hope you do make this a pattern. I like the hardware closures and that it is not so fussy that a guy would use it, too.

7. emily marie — September 11, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Beautiful and utilitarian. I love all the details you thought through before starting, the thought really shows in the finished design! The portion you brushed with latex adds just the right amount of interest and texture. Awesome bag!

8. Don — September 11, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

Wow! Great design details. Very professional looking. Definitely pattern worthy. Thanks for sharing.

9. Becky — September 11, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

I love this. It is very stylish. By latex, do you mean like latex paint or is there some other waterproofing product?

10. Ginger — September 12, 2013 @ 9:27 am

This is just beautiful. It really hits the sweet spot between design and function! Seriously killer.

11. Andrea B — September 13, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

Good looking pack!

12. Josh — September 16, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

The pack looks great!

13. Amy — September 25, 2013 @ 1:12 am

I love those kind of sewing projects, where I don’t have to stop. Makes me feel so efficient. This is really gorgeous. Great design.

14. Reyna Lay (@mysewinghabit) — September 25, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

I love this bag. Looks great! I like this front much better than the last.
    btw: I’m having blog post withdrawals from your blog. Please post another blog post soon! :)

15. Candace — November 19, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

Oh please make this pattern available for sale! my husband and I both want one :)

16. Lize — November 23, 2013 @ 11:01 am

I love it! It looks like a backpack people would pay a lot of money for, really!

17. Tammy — November 26, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

This backpack could become a classic! I hope you add the pattern to your shop, as I would be willing to purchase it. Keep up the neat, clean designs.

18. Susan — December 5, 2013 @ 12:57 am

Just stumpled on this blog and after reading this I immediately looked on your shop to see if you sell the pattern. This backpack is beautiful!

• Taylor replied: — December 6th, 2013 @ 11:16 am

Thank you!

19. Kirstin — January 6, 2014 @ 4:10 am

I’m going to add to the chorus that I would totally buy this pattern, hint hint!

20. Curious — March 25, 2014 @ 1:55 am

Oh. Wait. So are there instructions for how to make this for purchase somewhere, or…? I just learned how to use a sewing machine and would be so down to make this. For real.

First stop: curtains. Next stop: the world… via Canvas Roll Top Backpack, Version 2.0, yeah?