Spring/Summer Natural Denim

This is pretty much a repeat of my last post except in a different color. I used the same pattern but made this pair of jeans out of a lighter weight, natural cream colored denim. Up close this denim basically looks like painting canvas, sprinkled with little brown and black bits that I assume are left over from the cotton plant. Hopefully this 11.5oz fabric will stay cooler on those hot, humid summer days.

100% cotton, 11.5oz, Natural, Red Line, Cone Mills selvedge denim
“Slim” fit, straight leg
Single needle stitching
Button fly
Brass rivets and buttons
Handmade by me from my own pattern

hanging cream colored natural selvedge denim

cream colored natural selvedge denim button fly

cream colored natural selvedge denim front

cream colored natural selvedge denim folded

cream colored natural selvedge denim back pockets

cream colored natural selvedge denim cuffs

13 Responses to “Spring/Summer Natural Denim”

1. Mainelydad — April 7, 2012 @ 6:31 am

Gorgeous. enough said.

• Taylor replied: — April 9th, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Thank you!

2. Ruth — April 10, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

I’m on a jeans making adventure at the moment and I’m looking for white denim – can you tell me your supplier? BTW – fabulous jeans, I’ve mentioned you a few times in my very modest blog; you are the inspiration for me banging a hammer into denim in the garden to fix the rivets! LOL

• Taylor replied: — April 10th, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

Thanks Ruth! I’ll be sure to check out your blog. I’m sort of my own supplier at the moment. I opened a little supply shop for rivets, buttons, denim, and thread: http://www.taylortailor.com/shop The denim in this post is the Natural denim (undyed cotton, not bright white) in the shop. All of the denim is made by Cone Mills in the USA.

Taylor

• Ruth replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 3:57 am

Thanks Taylor. Will order soon when I’m ready to tackle the next pair.

3. Francesco — April 15, 2012 @ 5:59 am

Lovely work!

4. Beverly — April 15, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Hi Taylor. I absolutely love your jeans! I’m not a very advanced sewer so could you please tell me what seam finish you are using? I’m looking at the red thread and it looks gorgeous!! Thanks.

• Taylor replied: — April 15th, 2012 @ 11:54 am

Thanks Beverly! That red thread you see is the fabric selvage. This type of denim is woven on old fashioned looms that create a really clean edge, sometimes called “selvedge denim.” I keep my side seams perfectly straight to utilize this edge of the fabric. For the yokes and inseams, I use flat-felled seams.

Taylor

5. R. J. Kern — April 18, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Taylor, the threads are turning out awesome! And same goes for the photography!!! Well done!

• Taylor replied: — April 18th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Thanks R.J.! The projects are few and far between, but I’m enjoying the process. I just started trying to learn some photography basics. In addition to your amazing site of course :) are there any good photography instruction blogs/sites you would send a beginner to?

6. B. R. — May 31, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Man I wish I could make my own jeans. Well, I could, but 2 toddlers are currently hindering my making anything more complicated than a tube top. :-p I am a total jeans junkie and am really enjoying these posts!

7. Sassy T — July 22, 2012 @ 7:49 am

Just come across your bog. Those pants are FABULOUS.

• Taylor replied: — July 23rd, 2012 @ 9:39 am